[gmx-users] Velocities from the .gro file

Mohamed Abdelaal m.b.abdelaal at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 22:55:58 CEST 2020

Sorry for writing again in the same topic but I couldn't solve
the velocity problem.

I am trying to reproduce a paper written by: Claire Tonnel + , Martin
Stroet + , Bertrand Caron, Andrew J. Clulow, Ravi C. R. Nagiri, Alpeshkumar
K. Malde, Paul L. Burn,* Ian R. Gentle, Alan E. Mark,* and Benjamin J.
Powell
Title: Elucidating the Spatial Arrangement of Emitter Molecules in Organic
Light-Emitting Diode Films

It was mentioned in the paper that " The molecule was inserted into the
system such that the x and y coordinates of the centre of mass were sampled
from a uniform distribution covering the entire box while the z coordinate
of the centre of mass was set to 2.0 nm above the current surface. The
initial orientation of the molecule was randomised. *The velocities of each
atom within the inserted molecule in x and y were sampled from a Gaussian
distribution with a mean of 0.0 nm/ps and a standard deviation appropriate
for the temperature constant (σ = sqrt(kT/m), where k B is Botzmann’s , T
is the temperature and m is the mass of the atom). The velocities in z were
sampled from the distribution with the same standard deviation as x and y
but with a mean of 0.05 nmps -1 , negative z velocities (molecule moving in
the direction opposite to the surface) were rectified by taking the
absolute value. This ensured all molecules moved toward the surface.*

I have read the section 3.4.1 of the manual version 5.1.2 as recommended
above and I have also read all the velocity related topics in the manual
and user guide.

(After Dr. Justin and Dr. Eric replies)  I added velocity in my .gro file
and then I inserted the molecule in a box using insert-molecules, However
after the insertion process is completed I opened the output .gro file but
the velocity was not read. This means that I can only generate the velocity
through the .mdp file.

If I am going to generate the velocity using my .mdp file, is it possible
to change the standard deviation and the mean ? if yes, how can I modify
them ? (I can't find any way to modify the parameters of the Maxwell
distribution)

I want to have velocity distributions with means equal to 0,0,0.5 nmps in
the x,y,z directions respectively.

You wrote in your last email that, "A 3D Maxwell Boltzmann velocity
distribution corresponds to three identical gaussian speed distributions in
vx, vy, andvz centered at zero (mean should be zero for vx, vy, vz).  Just
change the standard deviation of the velocity distribution sqrt(kT/m) for
each velocity component if you want them to be different.  If you don't
want the mean to be zero for whatever reason, add a constant."

If the velocity will not be read from the .gro file where should I add the
constant to change the mean?

Many thanks,
Mohamed