[gmx-users] How to prevent velocity generation for my position restrained molecules ?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Apr 15 00:01:51 CEST 2020

On 4/14/20 5:48 PM, Mohamed Abdelaal wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I am simulating the evaporation process for different atoms on a graphene
> sheet and the z-coordinate of each graphene carbon atom was restrained
> (using position restrain).
>
> The energy minimization was successfully done without any errors
>
> Then I started the equilibration, I have done the NVT. My nvt.mdp file
> is written below. I have added the -DPOSRES to enable the position
> restrain and I added temperature
>
>   coupling for both the GRM (the graphene sheet molecules) and the G8LE
> (The residue molecules; the molecules I am evaporating) then I wrote
> generate velocity = yes.
>
> After finishing the NVT  equilibration, I checked the nvt.gro file and
> the problem now is that, I have velocity for both the graphene
> molecules (which supposed to be position
>
> restrained) and for the residue. How can I generate velocity for the
> residue only (G8LE) and make sure that the graphene sheet is
> restrained.

Applying restraints does not prevent dynamics; your restrained atoms
will have velocities. There will be a "Position Rest." term written to
the .log and .edr files that is a clear signal your restraints were on
and working.

If you want the group completely frozen (no position or velocity
updates), that's what freezegrps is for, but freezing anything is highly
artificial.

-Justin

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall