[gmx-users] Failed to find GROMACS magic number in trr frame header

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Apr 20 13:04:01 CEST 2020

On 4/20/20 6:39 AM, Mijiddorj B wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> Thank you very much for your reply. I see. I cut trr file several ns before
> the stopped frame, and I would like to cut the corresponding checkpoint
> file before the stopped frame.

Checkpoint files are not trajectories; they only contain one frame.

> Is it possible to get the specific frame checkpoint using gmx?

Not without using the -cpnum option of mdrun. Checkpoint files are
overwritten every few minutes so by default, you only ever have the
current and previously saved states.

> I would like to re-perform the extended simulation again starting from
> another frame. Is it also possible to use the original checkpoint file as
> it is?

Not unless you have a checkpoint file that corresponds to exactly that
frame, which is usually not the case. Checkpoint files are written every
few minutes rather than at some fixed interval of time steps.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall

340 West Campus Dr.