[gmx-users] Error No default Proper Dih. types

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Apr 26 20:02:58 CEST 2020

On 4/26/20 1:57 PM, Paolo Costa wrote:
> Dear Gromacs users,
>
> within Amber99 force field I created a new molecule, polyoxometallate, by
> creating a new .rtp file and modifying the atomtypes.atp, ffnonbonded.itp
> and the ffbondend.itp. For the ffnonbonded.itp I took the LJ parameters
> from known works, while the parameters for the bonding interactions I
> determined by Gaussian together with VFFDT software.
> I did not insert any parameters for the dihedral angles since the VFFTDT
> software does not calculated them. However as written in the related paper
> (J. Chem. Inf. Model. 2016, 56, 811−818), *"Torsion angle rotation related
> to metals can often be ignored".*
> Does somebody knows how to overcome such error in Gromacs?

pdb2gmx generates all possible angles and dihedrals, as determined by
the bonds that are defined in the .rtp entry. Thus, you likely have
dihedrals in the topology in which one of the participating atoms is the
metal. You have to have parameters for all defined interactions, but it
is true that dihedral terms are not typically used in this case. The
simplest solution is to define dihedrals with zero force constants so
they do not contribute to the forces in the system.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall

340 West Campus Dr.