[gmx-users] misunderstanding comm-grps

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Feb 5 13:12:59 CET 2020

On 2/3/20 7:33 PM, Miro Astore wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have tried using comm_grps to try and remove center of mass motion
> from my system.
>
> I used the following configuration
>
> comm_grps               = non-Protein Protein
> nstcomm                 = 100
> comm_mode               = linear
> comm_grps               = non-Protein Protein

Don't do this. Multiple COM motion removal groups are only appropriate
in layered systems that have different diffusion behavior.

>                                    refcoord_scaling        = com
>
> But I still get considerable drift in my protein. Am I
> misunderstanding what comm is actually doing and I should use the
> pulling code if I want my protein to stay in the center of the box?

Dallas covered this nicely. The algorithm does not (and is not intended
to) prevent diffusion. It subtracts erroneous contributions to the
kinetic energy in the system.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall