[gmx-users] nrexcl for TIP4P-ICE water model

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Feb 7 02:38:21 CET 2020

On 2/6/20 2:18 PM, mbhendle wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I want to use tip4p-ice water for my simulations and the tip4p-ice
> topology  "_tip4p-ice.itp_" (i am using )is same as:
>
> http://www.sklogwiki.org/SklogWiki/index.php/GROMACS_topology_file_for_the_TIP4P/Ice_model
> [1]
>
> Is nrexcl=1 correct ???
> As the other topologies (eg. spc, spce, tip4p) in oplsaa have nrexcl=2.
> Will it affect my results.

The value of nrexcl is made irrelevant in that topology by the
subsequent definition of [exclusions] for all possible intramolecular
interactions.

> As nrexcl is used to set 1-4 non-bonded interactions on/off and water
> does't have any.

The value of nrexcl sets the distance in terms of bonds for the excluded
interactions; it is not only applicable for excluding 1-4 interactions.
In conventional biomolecular force fields, nrexcl=3 does exclude
interactions within 3 bonds. But you can set the value (in principle) to
anything you want. As water cannot have 3 consecutive bonds, the proper
value to exclude all intramolecular interactions is 2.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall

340 West Campus Dr.