[gmx-users] LJ interactions in gromacs

Kevin Boyd kevin.boyd at uconn.edu
Mon Feb 17 06:48:46 CET 2020

Hi,

A few groups have done things like this to shape membranes. See
and
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.jctc.8b00765

I was involved in the second publication, so feel free to contact me about
implementation details if they're unclear.

However, I'm not sure that this approach is reasonable for excluding lipids
from a protein cavity. What else is supposed to occupy that cavity? A
vacuum is unphysical, and if it's a part of the protein that's embedded in
the membrane you don't want it filled with water. It also seems like this
could lead to perturbations of the annular lipid shell, which may or may
not be important.

Kevin