[gmx-users] Protein-Ligand Interaction calculation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Feb 17 14:26:13 CET 2020

On 2/17/20 7:18 AM, Peter Mawanga wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I used the CHARMM-GUI Membrane Builder to build a bilayer around my
> protein-ligand complex.
>
> However, unfortunately the ligand was not mentioned separately in the index
> (.ndx) file although it was mentioned in the topology (.top) file. Hence I
> am not able to calculate the energy between the protein and ligand using
> the energy (.edr) file.
>
> Please let me know if there is any workaround for this. It would be
> difficult to repeat the simulations again.

Computing interaction energy is a post-processing task. You should not
specify energygrps in your .mdp file for the actual simulation because
(1) it slows the simulation down and (2) it's not compatible with GPUs.

All you need to do is generate a new .tpr file with the desired
energygrps (you don't even need a special index file because all
non-standard [moleculetype] entries are by default assigned to their own
index groups) and use mdrun -rerun on the existing trajectory and the
new .tpr file with energygrps.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall