[gmx-users] GPU considerations for GROMACS

Kevin Boyd kevin.boyd at uconn.edu
Wed Feb 19 17:45:48 CET 2020

Hi,

A CPU:GPU ratio of 4:1 is fairly well balanced these days (depending on the
quality of the hardware), so you should expect to roughly double your
throughput adding a second GPU to your current system. However, that
doesn't mean
your single simulation performance will double - it's a lot more efficient
to run multiple simulations in parallel with these setups, because multiple
GPUs don't scale perfectly.

We can't make absolute statements about the performance you should expect,
it depends a lot on workload among other things. Have you seen the "More
bang for your buck" paper?.
https://arxiv.org/abs/1903.05918

Kevin