[gmx-users] Automatically assign the protonation states for pdb2gmx

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 11:46:39 CET 2020

Hi,

On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 at 14:07, ZHANG Cheng <272699575 at qq.com> wrote:

> Thank you Mark! Sorry could you please explain the details of "stdin" of
> "pdb2gmx"? Is there a link for it?

The stdin stream is a fundamental concept in how unix terminals work. The
echo tool fills that stream for pdb2gmx to consume. This is a pattern
followed by thousands of tools.

> I think "echo" only works for choosing the force field, but not work for
> the charge assignment.&nbsp;
>

> e.g. when I use:
>

> echo 15 0 0 0 0 | gmx pdb2gmx&nbsp; -f protein.pdb -o
> protein_processed.gro -water spce&nbsp; -inter&nbsp; -ignh -merge
> interactive
>

> I got error message:
>

> Which GLUTAMINE type do you want for residue 3
> 0. Not protonated (charge 0) (GLN)
> 1. Protonated (charge +1) (QLN)
> Type a number:
> Program:&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;gmx pdb2gmx, version 2020-beta2

Please install a proper version of GROMACS, not a pre-release one, which we
asked you not to use for scientific work.

> Source file: src/gromacs/gmxpreprocess/pdb2gmx.cpp (line 130)
> Fatal error:

That's probably because you haven't given enough numbers to echo to satisfy
the needs of pdb2gmx, but I can't tell on the information you've given.

Mark