[gmx-users] GPU considerations for GROMACS

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 17:44:09 CET 2020

Hi,

Whether investing in one of the fastest or two medium-high end GPU depends
on your workload: system size, type of run, single or multiple simulations,
etc. If you have multiple simulations you can run independently or coupled
only weakly in ensemble runs (e.g. using -multidir), multiple mid-tier GPUs
will be a better investment. On the other hand, if single simulation
performance is what you want to maximize and you have a relatively small
simulation system (e.g. 50k atoms), you will be better off with a single
fast GPU.

Regarding your CPU choice, I suggest you consider alternatives: e.g. a
Ryzen 3800X will cost a lot less and will be faster. Xeon generally does
not have much benefit for the use-case in question.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd