[gmx-users] Umbrella sampling of peptide-membrane system

John Whittaker johnwhittake at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 26 11:17:30 CET 2020

Hi,

Justin's tutorial is not a fully generalized procedure for umbrella
sampling; it shows a workflow for one specific example which is not always
applicable to other systems.

In general, you don't have to use position restraints for anything in
umbrella sampling. Justin uses them to keep the fibril in place for
specific reasons, as noted in the paper he based the tutorial on.

That said, what are you trying to do? Adding restraints to the bilayer is
probably a bad idea, seeing as how the motion of the bilayer is an
important physical behavior.

Are you calculating the PMF for a molecule traversing a lipid bilayer? If
so, there are many examples in the literature that detail a procedure
that's probably much more relevant to you.

Best,

John