[gmx-users] Thesis developed software; which Open-source License?

p.c.kroon at rug.nl p.c.kroon at rug.nl
Wed Feb 26 12:19:28 CET 2020

Hi Henry,

Although I'm not a lawyer here's how I understand it. You may want to check it with your department/university/company's legal department.

I don't know anything about licensing data, but take a look at creative commons licenses if you want it to be open.

See also: https://opensource.org/licenses/
Relicensing (from BSD-3 to something else, for example) can be tedious, depending on how many people contributed to your code. Everyone who has a claim to the IP (your code) has to agree with the change. If you're the only contributor, or if all contributors are nearby, it can be pretty straightforward. It's also possible (I think with the same conditions) to have different licenses for different users. Either way, users of your code do not need to be notified. They can keep using your code under the BSD-3 license under which they obtained it.

BSD-3 and MIT are very simple and permissive licenses.
Apache2 is also a very permissive license, but there's a bit more legalese involved, reducing ambiguity. This is the license I chose for my FOSS projects after consulting with my uni's legal department.
(L)GPL and friends are so-called copy-left licenses. Whenever you use GPL licensed code in your project, your code also *must* be GPL licensed. This becomes a little fuzzy when you're linking against GPL libraries, or importing them in your python code. For this reason LGPL was made, which explicitly allows compiling against LGPL licensed libraries without making you also GPL license your own code.

As I see it, as long as you haven't looked at GPL licensed source code you can license your code however you want. I *think* scripts that just call gmx tools do not have to be GPL licensed. I personally consider parameter files to be data (and not code subject to the LGPL license). So using/adapting those should (I think) be ok.  I don’t know which "original GMX simulated solvated protein data" you mean, or how that is licensed.

As I said I know very little about the licensing of data, and I think that in general it's something to which not enough attention is being paid (at least up until now). Has anyone looked up the license for the RSCB PDB for example?

I hope this helps, and that it's not too factually incorrect 😊

Peter