[gmx-users] Performance issues with Gromacs 2020 on GPUs - slower than 2019.5

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 12:34:41 CET 2020

Hi

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 11:31 AM Andreas Baer <andreas.baer at fau.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> with the link below, additional log files for runs with 1 GPU should be
> accessible now.

I meant to ask you to run single-rank GPU runs, i.e. gmx mdrun -ntmpi 1.

It would also help if you could share some input files in case if further
testing is needed.

> Thank you for the comment with the rlist, I did not know, that this will
> affect the performance negatively.

It does in multiple ways. First, you are using a rather long list buffer
which will make the nonbonded pair-interaction calculation more
computational expensive than it could be if you just used a tolerance and
let the buffer be calculated. Secondly, as setting a manual rlist disables
the automated verlet buffer calculation, it prevents mdrun from using a
dual pairl-list setup (see
http://manual.gromacs.org/documentation/2018.1/release-notes/2018/major/features.html#dual-pair-list-buffer-with-dynamic-pruning)
which has additional performance benefits.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd

> I know, about the nstcalcenergy, but
> I need it for several of my simulations.

Cheers,