[gmx-developers] dummy atoms

K.A. Feenstra Feenstra at chem.vu.nl
Wed Oct 23 17:40:12 CEST 2002

Frank Wennmohs wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> Is it possible that there are some restrictions
> as to where dummy atoms can be placed in
> a molecule's topology?
>
> As I performed the following scenario:
> I inserted dummy atoms in a protein topology generated
> by pdb2gmx and renumbered all atoms and charge groups thereafter.
> Afterwards gmx complained about not defined angles like
> simple backbone angles!
>
> Has anyone an explanation for this?

When you renumber your atoms, you also have to renumber the
interaction (bond, angle etc.) defenitions, since these are
defined based on atom numbers. If the dummy atoms you insert
do not replace actual atoms, it is often best to simply place
them at the end of your topology to prevent renumbering.
THe only limiting factor are the charge groups; if you need
to have your dummy atom inside a specific charge group, it
must be at the proper place in the atoms list.

--
Groetjes,

Anton
 ________ ___________________________________________________________
|        | Anton Feenstra                                            |
| .      | Dept. of Pharmacochemistry - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam |
| |----  | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081 HV Amsterdam - The Netherlands   |
| |----  | Tel: +31 20 44 47608 - Fax: +31 20 44 47610               |
| ' __   | Feenstra at chem.vu.nl - http://www.chem.vu.nl/afdelingen/FAR|
| (    ) | Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry - University of Groningen  |
|  \__/  | Nijenborgh 4 - 9747 AG Groningen - The Netherlands        |
|   __   | Tel +31 50 363 4327 - Fax +31 50 363 4800                 |
|  /  \  | K.A.Feenstra at chem.rug.nl - http://md.chem.rug.nl/~anton   |
|  \__/  | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down"               |
|        | (Red Hot Chili Peppers)                                   |