[gmx-developers] Optimizing Gromacs for Opteron

Erik Lindahl lindahl at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 31 07:57:30 CEST 2003

Hi Mike,

I just wanted to let you know that I've started to write x86-64
specific assembly loops - it's way easier than I first thought to
translate them.

I don't think the 64bit performance is going to be significantly higher
than 32bit compatibility mode(since the opteron isn't really emulating
32bits, but running it natively), but it will enable native compiles
and much larger systems.

It will appear in Gromacs 4 in a month or two...

I still haven't had time to check the problems we've had with previous
athlons, but I'll try to start that the next week...

Cheers,

Erik