[gmx-developers] gromacs on GPU

Vishal Vaidyanathan vvishal at stanford.edu
Fri May 13 21:18:22 CEST 2005

Hi,
  The single most annoying thing about GPUs is that they can not do
indirected writes. i.e. you can not do something of the form y[i] = x
where i is a random (i.e. non streaming) index.

Algorithmically speaking you can do this:

for i = 0 to n
    f[i] = some_function( inputs )

You can not do this:

for i = 0 to n
    j = some_array[i]
    f[j] = some_function( inputs )

  Another thing you can not really do in GPUs is true for-loops. All your
loops have to be unrollable at compile time.

  Not sure if that was too vague, do email me if you would like to discuss
this further off the list. :)

Thanks,
Vishal