[gmx-developers] (no subject)

H.J.Risselada H.J.Risselada at rug.nl
Mon Jan 30 13:20:48 CET 2006

Dear gmx-developers,

I discovered a bug in GROMACS-3.3 in mdlib/update.c
concerning the usage of constraints.

I discovered that the temperature on the slaves during a
parallel run was 30 K lower at ref_t 300 K then on the
master at all times.

I used a LJ-particles only test system without constaints:

Constaints where put on "none" in the mdp file.

However,

  /* if edyn->bEdsam == FALSE --- this has no effect */
     bHaveConstr = bHaveConstr || ed_constraints(edyn);

returns FALSE on the master, but TRUE on the slaves.

This means that the constrainst loops become active on the
slaves, which will interfere with the dynamics.

When T-coupling is used, one temperature group can be both
devided on the master as on the slaves. The total mean
temperature of the T-group will be the desired
temperature.
However the desired maxwell distribution will be
disrupted.

This Bug may have a significant effect on the users of
GC-models.

I tested it for the version 3.3, but it may also be
present in the older versions.

greetings

Jelger.