[gmx-developers] single bugfix listing

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 20:02:17 CET 2006

Dear all,

I've had a number of people e-mail me over the last few days who turned up
e-mails from the GROMACS list where I had noticed bugs (for example, bugs in
mdrun -rerun and in the dihedral restraints code). The e-mails typically ask
what exactly the bug was, if it was resolved, and if I can send a patch.

Would it be possible to have a single web page on the GROMACS site which
lists all of the bugs that have been identified and fixed since the release
of the current version? Then there would be one single page for people to
monitor to see whether they are using a "buggy" section of code. Probably,
it would be most helpful if this list either also had links to patches (for
example, the dihedral restraints fix just requires a new dihres.c) or (in
the case of more detailed bugs) just points people to CVS.

I am a bit nervous that there are a lot of people who download, for example,
GROMACS 3.3, and just start using it without ever either looking at bugzilla
or the users  list to find out whether there are bugs in the options they're
using. And this information is nontrivial to get from either place: As far
as I know, it requires listing ALL (not just open) bugs on bugzilla and
looking to see if any of them are problematic. It also would require
searching the users list for each option that people are using, as I think
there are some bugs that never made it into bugzilla.

Anyway, that's all to say I think it woudl be really useful if part of the
bugfix process could be posting bugfixes somewhere on the web page on a
single page that people can monitor. Probably also it would be a good idea
to e-mail the users list when there are bugfixes that are especially
significant.

Just some ideas...

Thanks!
David Mobley