[gmx-developers] suggestion for PME for 3.3.1 for free_energy=yes

Erik Lindahl lindahl at sbc.su.se
Wed Mar 29 23:53:18 CEST 2006

Hi David,

We only want one default value for each parameter, so having special
ones for free energy probably won't happen. Adding a warning might be
an alternative, but before doing so we'll need to be sure it's really
a fundemental limitation of the algorithm and not some artifact.

I assume that your values converge if you use even tighter limits
(e.g. order 8 or spacing 0.8)?

However, instead of increasing the amount of PME work I would
recommend checking what happens with longer direct-space cutoffs. The
default PME values are pretty similar to Tom Darden's default ones,
and since Gromacs is much faster on direct-space interactions than
his code we should move more interactions there.

Cheers,

Erik