[gmx-developers] suggestion for PME for 3.3.1 for free_energy=yes

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 00:07:42 CEST 2006

Erik,

> I assume that your values converge if you use even tighter limits
> (e.g. order 8 or spacing 0.8)?

It looked like it, although I must admit I didn't go to order 8, so
I'll start that running now (should be done tomorrow).

> However, instead of increasing the amount of PME work I would
> recommend checking what happens with longer direct-space cutoffs. The
> default PME values are pretty similar to Tom Darden's default ones,
> and since Gromacs is much faster on direct-space interactions than
> his code we should move more interactions there.

Benchmarking here and by Michael suggested it was cheaper to increase
the pme_order and fourier spacing than increase rcoulomb, although I
think Michael's suggestion would be to do both (rcoulomb>=1.0). I'm
going to start a couple runs going to check the case of rcoulomb
larger (1.0 or 1.1) but PME order 4 still with the 0.12 A spacing, as
well as rcoul=0.9 (my original) with order 8 and spacing 0.08. Let me
know if you'd like me to check other combinations, although not too
many (I run these for about a day on 5 processors each).

Thanks,
David