[gmx-developers] suggestion: velocities.xtc

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Tue Oct 17 09:25:13 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Oct 16, 2006, at 6:50 PM, Jochen Hub wrote:

> Dear developers,
>
> there are several applications around for which the velocities in
> the simulation are interesting.
>
> Therefore it might be interesting if mdrun would allow optional
> output of the velocities in xtc format. Using the trr file for
> velocity analysis is usually not convenient since it simply gets
> too large when writing to it in frequent steps. Probably it would
> be relatively little effort so implement this with all the xtc
> routines at hand. Of course, one mdp option like nstvxtcout would
> have to be added, too.
>
> Have you ever intended to implment something like this?

Unfortunately it isn't possible to compress velocities the same way
as coordinates.

First, for coordinates it is normally more than enough to save three
decimals, while analysis of velocities at equilibrium usually require
greater precision.

Second, a key property of coordinates is that we can write them as
offsets from the previous atom, which is particularly efficient for
water that often makes up most of the system. This is not possible
with velocities.

So, while it would of course be technically possible to include v(t)
in the xtc trajectory, the resulting file would end up very close in
size to the normal trajectory. We are looking into alternative
compression schemes though, and in the future we will likely
implement a more flexible trajectory format that can contain mixes of
trr/xtc/energy frames.

Cheers,

Erik