[gmx-developers] genvsites

Berk Hess hessb at mpip-mainz.mpg.de
Mon Oct 1 13:30:07 CEST 2007

Erik Lindahl wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
> David and I spoke about this last friday, and I'm not sure I agree
> completely :-)
>
> First, this approach is just moving the problem. Instead of having to
> create dummy settings for each force field you end up having to
> specify dummy parameters for each new molecule/residue. This will
> really be a pain for people working with small organic compounds, etc.
>
> The current aromatic vsites are horrible (construction-wise, I'm not
> even thinking about their usefullness...) and should be replaced, but
> the "standard" hydrogen vsites can actually be constructed completely
> automatic for new molecules.
>
> I've looked at quite a few vsites manually the last couple of days,
> and the largest deviations by far occur in peptide groups and similar
> constructs that aren't exactly planar in reality, but the vsite
> construction forces them to be. There's nothing we can do about that,
> and in comparison the deviations between ideal and force-field values
> e.g. for CH2 angles are very small.
>
> The other problem concerns e.g. NH2 groups. If I recall correctly
> these are sometimes planar in Gromos96, while OPLS/Amber model them as
> non-planar. In my opinion the right thing to do in that case is to
> model the force field as good as possible, since the point is to
> remove degrees of freedom while altering as little as possible.
> Otherwise we should for consistency also alter the constraint lengths
> of all bonds to agree with experimental structures rather than the
> equilibrium values in the force field.

I can remember a discussion on this, but I think NH2 are should be and
are always planar.

> So, it's definitely worth cleaning up, it would be nice to generate
> the MC/MN dummy mass parameters automatically from the force field
> (easy), and then create a residue-specific database for "advanced"
> constructs such as virtual aromatic sidechains. I still think it's
> more correct to set the simple vsites from the force field, though, or
> possibly the input structure.

I agree.

I don't know about the usefulness of vsite aromatics.
I have never used them and will probably never use them.
So as far as I am concerned they could be removed,
but maybe some people do use them.

Berk.