[gmx-developers] genvsites

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Mon Oct 1 12:34:18 CEST 2007

Hi Erik,

David and I spoke about this last friday, and I'm not sure I agree
completely :-)

First, this approach is just moving the problem. Instead of having to
create dummy settings for each force field you end up having to
specify dummy parameters for each new molecule/residue. This will
really be a pain for people working with small organic compounds, etc.

The current aromatic vsites are horrible (construction-wise, I'm not
even thinking about their usefullness...) and should be replaced, but
the "standard" hydrogen vsites can actually be constructed completely
automatic for new molecules.

I've looked at quite a few vsites manually the last couple of days,
and the largest deviations by far occur in peptide groups and similar
constructs that aren't exactly planar in reality, but the vsite
construction forces them to be. There's nothing we can do about that,
and in comparison the deviations between ideal and force-field values
e.g. for CH2 angles are very small.

The other problem concerns e.g. NH2 groups. If I recall correctly
these are sometimes planar in Gromos96, while OPLS/Amber model them
as non-planar. In my opinion the right thing to do in that case is to
model the force field as good as possible, since the point is to
remove degrees of freedom while altering as little as possible.
Otherwise we should for consistency also alter the constraint lengths
of all bonds to agree with experimental structures rather than the
equilibrium values in the force field.

So, it's definitely worth cleaning up, it would be nice to generate
the MC/MN dummy mass parameters automatically from the force field
(easy), and then create a residue-specific database for "advanced"
constructs such as virtual aromatic sidechains. I still think it's
more correct to set the simple vsites from the force field, though,
or possibly the input structure.

Cheers,

Erik