[gmx-developers] ensemble code and restraints

Robert Fenwick robert.fenwick at irbbarcelona.org
Mon Dec 8 23:08:04 CET 2008

OK I have almost found the thing that I want except there is one snag,
it is not as flexible as I would like it to be. In the manual in the
orientation description this appears:

For reasons which are explained below, the D matrices are calculated
which respect to a reference orientation of the molecule. The
orientation is defined by a rotation matrix R which is needed to
least-squares fit the current coordinates of a selected set of atoms
onto a reference conformation. The reference conformation is the
starting conformation of the simulation. In case of ensemble
averaging, which will be treated later, the structure is taken from
the first subsyste.

would it be possible to define the RMS restraint in this way first
calculating the rotation matirx R and then applying it? Then derriving
forces based on the rmsd to the average structure? Also would it be
possible to define the selection of atoms required for this
least-squares fitting? I would like to just apply the restraint to the
secondary structures of my system.

Cheers,

Bryn