[gmx-developers] ensemble code and restraints

Robert Fenwick robert.fenwick at irbbarcelona.org
Tue Dec 9 10:58:37 CET 2008

Hi Berk,

It has been shown a few times now that averaging over a single
structure is not sensible as it is possible to get strained
structures, the other alternative is to do as you suggest to average
over the whole ensemble. This also creates problems and if you average
over three or more structures then it is possible that one completely
unfolds while the others compensate. The same work has shown that if
you average over pairs of structures you get around this problem. In
theory I can do all of this in CHARMM. What I would like to know is
how to implement a similar scheme in GROMACS, so that others can use
it. I am currently lost in the source code and was looking for some
pointers as to how I could get started.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions,

Bryn