[gmx-developers] ensemble code and restraints

Berk Hess hessb at mpip-mainz.mpg.de
Tue Dec 9 10:42:00 CET 2008

Hi,

I don't understand why you want to ensemble restrain only over pairs
(and I don't have time to read papers).
Ensemble restraining mimics real NMR experiments where
you have a large number of molecules in a test tube and
you measure an ensemble averaged signal.
Such signals are r^-6 averaged over all pairs.
Because of the extremely non-linear averaging, if one pair
out of 10 is a bit below the upper bound, there will be no
force on all 10 pairs.

Berk