[gmx-developers] position restraint algorithms

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed Jul 23 11:02:46 CEST 2008

Hi,

in the latest development code the position restraint routine is treated
differently from other bonded-force routines, because of possible
communication requirements. However, this is only necessary when
restraining the center of mass (COM) of a group of atoms, isn't it? An
alternative implementation could use the COM vsite and restrain that. In
that case the complexity is moved somewhere else, but posres gets cleaner.

I'm asking because I would like to implement a position-dependent force
on the COM of a molecule. The force should in the end be tabulated
rather than analytical, and hence I can re-use most of the mechanisms
for tabulated bonds (except I need to add a one-particle table type).
Any suggestions?

Thanks,