[gmx-developers] Dependence on libxml2

Marc F. Lensink lensink at bigre.ulb.ac.be
Mon Sep 8 10:18:47 CEST 2008

On Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 02:07:42PM +0200, David van der Spoel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the inclusion of the xml library is currently limited to stuff in the
> contrib directory. However we have discussed on many occasions which xml
> library to use if we were going to make the move. The de-facto standard
> in the linux world is libxml2 (foundation of the gnome project). Are you
> aware of any platform where this wouldn't work?
>
> Do you see any other obvious drawbacks?

libxml2 is the way to go.  however, some clusters may have been
installed with older linux distributions, eg of the SL 3 series.
ancient, but stable.  in those cases libxml2 can still be installed,
but only manually and its functionality is limited.  one of the issues
I recall is problems with namespace support.

cheers,
marc

--
Marc F. Lensink
Centre for Structural Biology and Bioinformatics          CSBB
Université Libre de Bruxelles           marc.lensink at ulb.ac.be
Boulevard du Triomphe - CP 263, B-1050 Brussels, Belgium
tel: +32 2 650 5411  secr: +32 2 650 2013  fax: +32 2 650 5425