[gmx-developers] Dependence on libxml2

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sat Sep 6 14:07:42 CEST 2008

Hi,

the inclusion of the xml library is currently limited to stuff in the
contrib directory. However we have discussed on many occasions which xml
library to use if we were going to make the move. The de-facto standard
in the linux world is libxml2 (foundation of the gnome project). Are you
aware of any platform where this wouldn't work?

Do you see any other obvious drawbacks?

If not, the library will become obligatory straight after the release of
4.0, that means you will not be able to compile gromacs without it
anymore. Although one could offer workarounds, by e.g. shutting off part
of the functionality (as is done now) this would be too confusing for
many ordinary users.