[gmx-developers] max cpu scale-up

hessb at mpip-mainz.mpg.de hessb at mpip-mainz.mpg.de
Fri Sep 19 19:31:09 CEST 2008

> Hi,
> in fact I tried 128 cpu with just -s -v and I get this error:
>
> Fatal error:
> Could not find an appropriate number of separate PME nodes. i.e. >=
> 0.419288*#nodes (51) and <= #n
> odes/2 (64) and reasonable performance wise (grid_x=144, grid_y=120).
> Use the -npme option of mdrun or change the number of processors or the
> grid dimensions.
>
> Using -npme 64 it works and on 128 cpu it goes 2ns (dt=2fs) in  3h45'!

I don't know your other timings, so I don't know how much better this is.

But 0.42 as relative PME load is quite high.
Something between 0.25 and 0.33 is better.
grompp prints this load.
It is probably better (faster) to slightly increase you cut-off
and your PME grid spacing with the same factor.

> What -ddorder cartesian does?

This determines the order of the PP and PME nodes.
If the XT4 would really support cartesian communication this would
be a lot faster, but unfortunately it does not.
Still it will probably be faster when all the PME nodes are physically
close toghether. -ddorder cartesian will do this.
-ddorder pp_pme will also work well, but I expect cartesian
to be slightly faster, you can try both.

Berk