[gmx-developers] Linear bond angles= exploding energy

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed Apr 1 21:17:12 CEST 2009

Paul Whitford wrote:
> I wasn't sure if I should post this to the gmx-users or gmx-developers list.
>
> I am constructing coarse-grained CA models for proteins.  Adjacent CA
> atoms are connected by harmonic bonds and sets of three CA atoms are
> connected by harmonic angles.  I have noticed that when a bond angle
> gets linear (pi) , there is a large spike in the potential energy and
> that part of the system goes  a bit wild (unrealistic high
> accelerations).   I suspect this has to do with the dihedral term, but
> I'm not sure.  In Amber, there was a comment about a disconinuity when a
> dihedral has a linear angle (I can't find it at the moment).  Was this
> considered when writing gromacs?   In all-atom simulations, this is not
> be a problem, but in these coarse grained methods linear angles are ok,
> since they are not "real" covalent bonds.   Any thoughts/fixes would be
> appreciated.

You did not state which version you have. The problem is in the angle
terms,not dihedrals, but it has been fixed (or diminshed) in gmx 4.x .
Question is whether you really need angles, maybe you can use a
nonbonded term instead?

> Thanks
>
> -Paul

David.
David van der Spoel, PhD, Professor of Biology
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755