[gmx-developers] Pull to COM of molecules

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Thu Apr 16 16:03:36 CEST 2009

I can't comment from a code level, but I have been doing this recently
in my simulations. It was key for me to set pull_pbcatom0 to be an
atom that is generally in the center of the reference group. Then
either 1) the box must be big enough that the other atoms in that
group are always placed in the same cluster (not necessarily the same
unit cell), or 2) the run must be completed in segments and some
script should exist to rationally choose an optimal central
pull_pbcatom0 to start the next short mdrun segment.

Both of these are a little frustrating and myself and one other user
are currently getting some strange results in combination with the
free energy code, even with large boxes, but it certainly appears to
be working as expected.

I have an item on the wiki wish list that outlines how the situation
could be dramatically improved here, and I have been in contact with a
programmer to get this modification made, although that will take some
months.

Chris.