[gmx-developers] Pull to COM of molecules

Carsten Kutzner ckutzne at gwdg.de
Thu Apr 16 17:40:13 CEST 2009

On Apr 16, 2009, at 4:03 PM, chris.neale at utoronto.ca wrote:

> I can't comment from a code level, but I have been doing this
> recently in my simulations. It was key for me to set pull_pbcatom0
> to be an atom that is generally in the center of the reference
> group. Then either 1) the box must be big enough that the other
> atoms in that group are always placed in the same cluster (not
> necessarily the same unit cell), or 2) the run must be completed in
> segments and some script should exist to rationally choose an
> optimal central pull_pbcatom0 to start the next short mdrun segment.
>
> Both of these are a little frustrating and myself and one other user
> are currently getting some strange results in combination with the
> free energy code, even with large boxes, but it certainly appears to
> be working as expected.
>
> I have an item on the wiki wish list that outlines how the situation
> could be dramatically improved here, and I have been in contact with
> a programmer to get this modification made, although that will take
> some months.

There is some code in edsam.c (ed_get_shifts) that puts an arbitrary
group of atoms together each
time step by keeping track of shift changes. This way the group stays
intact and each atom trajectory
is continuous throughout the run, which was needed for ED. I think
this could also be used for large
pull groups.

Carsten