[gmx-developers] License

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Sat Apr 18 08:35:54 CEST 2009

Hi Roland,

In principle you're quite right, but I have some news: We're actually
preparing a switch to LGPL for exactly this reason, while we still
have a relatively limited number of developers/contributors to contact
and get permission from. The tentative plan was to do this post 4.1,
but it might actually be a good idea to do sooner rather than later.
I'll get working on it. (Thank god for CVS logs). In principle
somebody could protest, but it that case we'll have to discuss whether
that particular code is so important that we will have to reject the
LGPL idea, or just remove + rewrite the code. It should be very few
parts, at least.

For most previous contributors I've at least mentioned these
exceptions by mail, and made sure they were aware & OK with it - sorry
if we forgot you.

For the record, the only special thing with the F at H version is that
the binary has a digital signature, so we can be sure users don't fake
data (e.g. by skipping the inner loops :-) to get higher credits in
the ranking. However, to completely switch to LGPL we're even planning
to include this functionality for everybody with external signing
algorithms - you'll have to pick a a key yourself if you want it,
though :-)

LGPL will also give everybody the same rights, and then we can avoid a
whole lot of paperwork by simply letting everybody keep the copyright
to code they write. In particular US universities tend to get worried
when copyright forms get involved, while pure open source is fine.

Cheers,

Erik

The main reason for LGPL is that we think it's "fairer" in the sense
that everybody