[gmx-developers] MC integrator

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Aug 6 07:55:45 CEST 2009

Erik Marklund wrote:
> Swell! It's been missing from gromacs for a long time in my oppinion.
>
> Regarding parallelism, MC is highly parallelizable in "step-space", and
> computing different MC steps on different processors will most likely be
> faster than distributing particles or domains, since virtually nothing
> needs to be communicated. Therefore, a step-decomposition option is a
> good idea. Plus, it would be very easy to implement.

This is not necessarily true if we move to many (tens of thousands of
processors) which soon will be feasible with gmx 4.1 once it is
finished. Hence I would prefer if the code did not "interfere" with the
parallellisation, but rather just uses the existing logic. Maybe I
misunderstand it, but you do a trial move and then recompute the energy,
right?

--
David.
David van der Spoel, PhD, Professor of Biology