[gmx-developers] ewald shift question

Berk Hess hess at cbr.su.se
Fri Aug 14 16:36:05 CEST 2009

Hi,

Please do not post the same question on multiple lists.
People might answer the same questions multiple times and the discussion
gets confusing.

You can simply call shift_LRcorrection if you want, right?
Also ewald_LRcorrection does nearly the same thing, but with a different
functional shape.
Both function are called at nearly the same place in do_force_lowlevel
in src/mdlib/force.c.

But having looked quickly trough the paper, it would think that you
don't need these functions
at all.  You want to shift the pair potential for all pairs, or am I wrong?
Both functions in Gromacs only operate on excluded pairs.
Shifting a pair potential can be done simply with user tables.

BTW I don't see the advantage of this electrostatics method.
Artificially truncating all Coulomb pair interactions at a cut-off is
exactly the same
as using a pure cut-off (although this method is probably
computationally more efficient).
I would consider the artifacts due to this worse than the artificial
periodicity introduced by
Ewald and PME.
For interface systems Gromacs has a correction term for Ewald and PME
(ewald_geometry=3dc)
which works very well and there are also exact methods in the literature
for this geometry.

Berk