[gmx-developers] ewald shift

Harold Park harold.park at colorado.edu
Sat Aug 15 18:54:26 CEST 2009

Hi Berk:

My apologies for posting on the same list.  Regarding the utility of
the Wolf paper - it does not artificially truncate the Coulomb
interactions at a cut-off.  It does use a spherical cut-off radius,
but then it corrects the Coulomb energy by ensuring charge
neutralization.  Doing so leads to a very simple expression for the
Coulombic energies (equation 5.10) and forces (equation 5.21).  In
that way, the Coulombic energy (and thus forces) can be calculated
exactly using spherical truncation, as is often used in MD
simulations, with a small cut-off radius.

I am aware that there are other methods that are used for non-periodic
systems in slab geometries, but the Wolf method is general, and thus
not utilize arguments to make the slab non-periodic in certain
directions, while using Ewald in the other periodic directions.  In
contrast, the Wolf method can be used both at surfaces and for bulk
systems.

Regards,

Harold