[gmx-developers] DCD / Licence

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Sat Jul 4 13:23:41 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Axel Kohlmeyer
<akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu>wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 16:06 -0400, Roland Schulz wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Axel Kohlmeyer
> > <akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu> wrote:
> >         On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 12:58 -0400, Roland Schulz wrote:
>

> i would not include the whole code, just the molfile API interface
> and then dlopen() the individual plugins. so one can use, e.g. an
> existing VMD installation (provided the API matches).

Erik, David, Berk: What do you think about that? Do you like that idea?

If so: At what stage do we want to configure the path to the molfile plugin
folder?
We could:
- add to configure a --with-vmd option
- that would set a variable (e.g. GMX_VMD) in GMXRC
- trxio would read GMX_VMD and if it finds the plugins allow also reading of
the molfile formats
- if it does not find the plugin (or GMX_VMD is not set) and one tries to
read e.g. a dcd it would give an error

In a first stage only trajectory formats would be supported. Of course later
one could also support structure format, so that charges could be read for
e.g. g_diplole.

Do we want to support only dynamic linking (dlopen) for the vmd plugins or
as an alternative also static?

> interface the mofile read API to fortran. for dynamic linkage
> and plugin management, i suggest you look at the PluginMgr.C
> source from VMD. it references also vmddlopen.c as a portable
> wrapper for dlopen.c. BTW, the VMD license allows you to use
> up to 10% of the code for other purposes... ;-)

Thanks for pointing that out. Does for less than 10% count the Illinois Open
Source License?
Or where do I find out the requirements to add license/copyright information
to the file/package under that 10% clause?

> I kept the changes very few (basically just removing the plugin api).
> > But of course your solution is much better if one wants more than just
> > DCD.
>
> i'm mainly concerned about maintainability and project fragmentation.
> you have a valid point in supporting only DCD and having a simple
> interface. if your changes could be implemented with a couple of
> well crafted #ifdefs, it would still be possible to have the source
> in the VMD plugin cvs to be _the_ authoritative source. i.e. if somebody
> in gromacs fixes a bug, it can be easily integrated back into VMD
> and vice versa.

I think I could do it with a few #ifdefs if we don't want to go the molfile
path.

> one of the big weaknesses of the MD community compared to,
> say, astrophysics, is the fragmentation of project and lack
> of interoperability in file formats and data management.

Yes I agree. That is very suboptimal.

> my hope is that popular projects like VMD, gromacs, NAMD, pymol
> (which also supports molfile, btw) and others start to converge
> to be ready for future challenges like handling multi-million
> atom simulations, efficient lossless and lossy compression,
> mult-resolution data storage, efficient parallel and out-of-core
> data access. too much is currently done with ad-hoc solutions,
> but supporting mutual APIs will allow to mutually benefit from
> improvements.

It would be great but would need very well designed APIs. E.g. molfile is
not ready for the future as it does not support parallel IO (just as one
example). So a constant update of the APIs is required and of course the
APIs should be decided by the community and not just by one group.

p.s.: sorry if i'm getting too political at the end. this is
> something that i'm very passionate about. just disregard it,
> if you think i'm going too far. ;-)

No I think this is very interesting.  Is there some mailinglist / forum
where this would be more on-topic?
I would be interested in follow up on this.

Roland