[gmx-developers] Implementation of Bennet estimator for chemical potential

JR Schmidt schmidt at chem.wisc.edu
Tue Jul 14 21:28:19 CEST 2009

I am currently doing some chemical potential in GROMACS using the
particle insertion method.  (For a variety of technical reasons related
to the eventual system of interest, I would like to avoid thermodynamic
integration.)  I would like to implement the Bennet estimator of
chemical potential, which is the minimum variance estimator [see, for
example, JCP, 123, 054105 (2005)].

Fundamentally, this requires doing BOTH trial insertions into an N
particular ensemble, and particle DELETIONS from a N+1 particle
ensemble, and accumulating the average of f(\beta*\Delta U), where f is
a Fermi function.  (In practice, as long as N is large enough, both can
be done from the same N particle trajectory.)  The former is already
implemented in GROMACS via the TPI method.  I would like to implement
the latter.

I located the do_tpi subroutine in minimize.c, and I follow the basic
logic of it.  However, what I do NOT understand is how the call to
"do_force" in minimize.c somehow returns in  enerd->term[F_EPOT] the
component of the energy corresponding to the Nth particle, rather than
the total energy of the system.  Obviously this is due to one of the
arguments, but through the maze of subsequent function calls I can't
track it down.

I would appreciate any guidance from the more experienceddevelopers.  I
am an seasoned coder, but not familiar at all with the innards of
GROMACS.  Yet I think this should be a rather simple addition if I can
simply figure out this particular issue.

Thank you in advance.

--
J.R. Schmidt
Assistant Professor of Chemistry