[gmx-developers] Failing particle decomposition in gmx4.0.4

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed May 6 21:41:53 CEST 2009

Per Larsson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I believe that with particle decomposition, you cannot have constraints
> between the nodes (only implemented with domain decomp).

I'm afraid Per is right. For some reason I seem to recollect that Berk
implemented P-Lincs with PD. Then I tested it with a small protein,
however pdb2gmx was kind enough to put the crystal waters in my topology
automatically, such that I didn't notice them. I thus had a protein with
water, which is split automatically over processors by putting the
protein on one node and dividing the water over the other nodes.

> One trick around this (if you still want pd) would be to increase the
> mass of the hydrogens somewhat, and use constraints=h-bonds, which gives
> you local constraints only. One could of course argue whether this is
> 100% accurate :-)

Or, plan B would be to put the protein in a big box with DD.