[gmx-developers] Re: trjconv -fit rot+trans -pbc broken, was: trjconv defaults

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Wed Nov 4 20:35:24 CET 2009

Hi,

sorry small correction to my last email:

It is OK to do pbc first and then do trjconv -fit trans+rot. Different to
what I wrote earlier it is correct that the rotation moves atoms out of the
box because it is the wrong box (their are still in the correct box). To
move them correctly in the translational shifted box you should do:
trjconv -fit translation -pbc {some-pbc}
trjconv -fit rot+trans

This guarantees that the pbc treatment is correct in the original box.

But the problem persists if you need pbc treatment in the
tools/visualization you use after trjconv. Since the written box vectors are
not rotated any pbc treatment applied to that trajectory will be wrong.

So I still think the only real solution is the one proposed by Tsjerk. I
just wanted to add that there is a partial work-around.

Roland