[gmx-developers] grand-canonical MC using gromacs

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Dec 7 23:09:21 CET 2010

On 8/12/2010 1:18 AM, René Pool wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks Mark, found it!
> For me the problem is
> static bool bFirst=TRUE;
> which is set to FALSE after initialization of the neighbor lists.
> in function ns() (in force.c).
>
> Resetting this variable to TRUE seems to yield the correct average
> density in an MC simulation. The downside is that by doing so, a huge
> memory leak is created.

Yep. GROMACS is very bad at managing its "once per simulation" memory,
on the theory that it's only doing one simulation. I once had a version
of GROMACS based on 4.0.x that had a pile of memory-cleanup routines of
the kind you might need. I could make them available if anyone is
interested.

Hopefully the move to C++ will help a bit with some formal destructors.

Mark

> At least I now know where to find the solution!
>
> Cheers,
> René
>
> Mark Abraham wrote:
>>
>> On 12/07/10, René Pool <r.pool at vu.nl> wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> We're busy implementing grand-canonical Monte Carlo using gromacs.
>>> Particle translations accomplished by NVT MD, rendering this a
>>> hybrid MC MD method. Our approach is doing this by a python shell
>>> around gromacs in which we can insert/remove particles and perform
>>> MD NVT moves. For optimal efficiency, we use the ctypes module. This
>>> allows us to keep the gromacs data structures in memory during the
>>> MC run.
>>>
>>> To this end we had to make minor modifications/additions to the
>>> gromacs src (ver 4.0.5 because we started this project with this
>>> version). Most importantly, we have split up mdrunner() into (1)
>>> mdrunner_initialize(), (2) mdrunner_integrate() and (3)