[gmx-developers] grand-canonical MC using gromacs

René Pool r.pool at vu.nl
Wed Dec 8 11:07:35 CET 2010

Mark Abraham wrote:
> On 8/12/2010 1:18 AM, René Pool wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks Mark, found it!
>> For me the problem is
>> static bool bFirst=TRUE;
>> which is set to FALSE after initialization of the neighbor lists.
>> in function ns() (in force.c).
>>
>> Resetting this variable to TRUE seems to yield the correct average
>> density in an MC simulation. The downside is that by doing so, a huge
>> memory leak is created.
>
> Yep. GROMACS is very bad at managing its "once per simulation" memory,
> on the theory that it's only doing one simulation. I once had a version
> of GROMACS based on 4.0.x that had a pile of memory-cleanup routines of
> the kind you might need. I could make them available if anyone is
> interested.
>
> Hopefully the move to C++ will help a bit with some formal destructors.
>
> Mark

I already made some cleanup routines of my own to solve some memory
leaks. Maybe I missed some pointer cleanups though, so I'm certainly
interested in your cleanup routines!

I solved the above neighbor list memory leak by only initializing the
nlist after a tpr read. This list is then correctly managed by
mdrunner_integrate().

I'm happy to announce that I now have a working GCMC module for gromacs:
the Lennard-Jones muVT equation of state at reduced temperature T*=1.5,
completely agrees with one determined via NVT MD. This temperature is
well within the fluid region of the LJ phase diagram, so there is no
phase coexistence in the simulation box.
The module is written in python and uses direct library calls to the
gromacs libs.

I'm planning to further increase efficiency by exploiting the test
particle insertion option of mdrun for MC insertion moves and computing
the energy of a randomly selected molecule for possible removal during a
consecutive MC removal move. The latter trick will save single point
energy calculations for MC removal moves that I perform at the moment.

After this I'll share the GCMC module with the gmx community for those
who are interested :-)

I expect that it will not take too much trouble making the GCMC module
compatible with the latest version of gromacs. I will explore doing this.

Cheers and thanks for the help,
Rene