[gmx-developers] grand-canonical MC using gromacs

JR Schmidt schmidt at chem.wisc.edu
Wed Dec 8 16:10:47 CET 2010

> I'm planning to further increase efficiency by exploiting the test
> particle insertion option of mdrun for MC insertion moves and
> computing the energy of a randomly selected molecule for possible
> removal during a consecutive MC removal move. The latter trick will
> save single point energy calculations for MC removal moves that I
> perform at the moment.
As a side note, I might suggest that you NOT do what you suggest above.
Although it would be more efficient, it would rule out the possibility
of properly doing a particle insertion when you are using Ewald (or a
polarizable potential, such as Drude oscillators!).  This is because the
gromacs insertion code explicitly assumes a pair-wise additive
potential.  While one might argue that the polarizable potential is of
minor interest, the Ewald issue is quite a bit more serious.

--
J.R. Schmidt
Assistant Professor of Chemistry

Phone: (608) 262-2996