[gmx-developers] Total dipole incorrect in energy file

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Mon Jan 25 17:14:18 CET 2010

Hi,

it used to be so that mdrun did not break molecules. However, nowadays
it does, even though they are fixed before writing the coordinates. I
suspect however that the broken molecules are not fixed before computing
the total dipole, which is stored in the energy file. The total dipole
is used for computing the dielectric constant in g_dipoles.

With the current g_dipoles I get good dielectric constants when using
the coordinates, and insane (500) when using the energy file.

If this observation is correct we can do two things:
- fix the coordinates at every step before computing the total dipole
- not compute abd save the total dipole at all and remove the -en option
from g_dipoles

I guess the decision depends on whether the CPU time for reconstrucing
the molecules before computing the total dipole is large or not. Maybe
Berk can comment on that, obviously there is a reason for not doing it
every step.