[gmx-developers] Any known gcc 4.1 issues?

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Tue Jul 6 00:59:48 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 5:59 PM, <hess at sbc.su.se> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Which Gromacs version is this?

 Head from two weeks ago (commit: 0541796)

> And this is not with GBSA?

no GBSA. PME.

> I assume this is in parallel?

yes

> In all 4.0 versions there is a bug in the graph code,
> but I have never seen that being triggered.

you mean GCC 4 or GROMACS 4?

> You probably wouldn't know if 4.1.3 does better?

no. Only tested those two GCC versions.

BTW: Are MDP files supposed to be upward compatible? Because the default for
nstcalcenergy is -1 in grompp. Thus if one has an old mdp file without the
nstcalcenergy option one gets a different tpr file with grompp from HEAD
than grompp 4.0.7. Should we set nstcalcenergy to 1 if it is missing or
print a NOTICE if is it is missing and we set it to -1?

(We noticed this while looking at the origin of the large
energy fractionation. The  (short-term)  fluctuation are increased with
nstcalcenergy -1 (it is using 10) but much smaller than the increase caused
by GCC 4.1 - which are longer term fluctuations)

Roland