[gmx-developers] How to name ions?

Berk Hess hess at cbr.su.se
Wed Jul 28 12:29:15 CEST 2010

Gerrit Groenhof wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We can just decide on a scheme ourselves, can't we?

Yes and no.
We somehow need to translate ions present in pdb files to molecule types,
residue names and atom names.
So to do everything consistently, we would need to add renaming schemes
(residue and atom renaming in pdb2gmx is fully supported in version 4.5).
> I propose to use
>
> Cl (the chemical symbol) for the atomname, as this is also done for more
> complex ions, like sulphate.
> Cl- for the residue name, because that's what it is.
> The type name we could use, in analogy to protein, chloride, so the full
> name of the species.
>
> Gerrit

But what about multivalent ions?
Cu2+? And then Cu+ or Cu1+?
Note that 4 characters strictly speaking do not fit into the pdb format.

Berk