[gmx-developers] Heads up! trjconv broken

Daniel Larsson larsson at xray.bmc.uu.se
Mon Jun 14 19:25:51 CEST 2010

On Jun 14, 2010, at 18:56 , Tsjerk Wassenaar wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> -fit and -pbc should not be combined, and -pbc should never follow a
> call with -fit. Note that fit rotates the coordinates with respect to
> the box, breaking the relation with the PBC. Then think whether the
> mangling you see follows logically from this, or not,

Yes, the settings that I've tried now that causes the unexpected behavior do all involve the -fit flag.

So, if I understand this correctly: -fit with either rot+trans, rotxy+transxy or progressive will/might not wrap atoms that passes a periodic boundary "correctly".

This is not something that was obvious to me, and I think it might be good to add a note about this in the documentation as a service to the user. Perhaps trjconv should even disallow any PBC flag together with these above options? And perhaps also display a warning in conjunction with the use of these flags (since one can have made multiple passes over a trajectory).

Thanks for helping me out Tsjerk!