[gmx-developers] pdb2gmx default water model

Anton Feenstra feenstra at few.vu.nl
Wed Jun 16 18:28:01 CEST 2010

On 16/06/10 17:24, Shirts, Michael (mrs5pt) wrote:

>> I thought about that, but I think that choice is asking too much in
>> terms of knowlegde
>> from the general user.
>
> See, I'm all in favor of making them think a little.  If you don't know what
> water model you should use, you don't deserve to be running a simulation.
>
> Make them look up what they should be running, as long as the error message
> pretty clearly says that - something like:
[...]

I don't agree here. Yes, the user should be responsible for her choices,
but also a good tool should come with a *full* set of appropriate
default options. Then, it is clearly the responsibility of the user to
assert their validity for a particular application.

Is/are there (a) paper(s) that say that either SPC or SPC/e is the
better water model? If most non-expert users would prefer SPC /or/ most
reviewers would require that (for historical reasons of no other /or/
some well-cited papers highlight SPC as the best option, then I'd argue
to leave that the default.

Expert user will (want to) know better ;-)

B.t.w., how transferable are water models between ff's? I've always been
thought that they are actually non-transferable (or at least that is
what I remember), making e.g. Amber/SPCe a bad option, as would
gromos/tip4p.

--
Groetjes,

Anton
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam     |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
|             | Feenstra at few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "Pump Up the Volume Along With the Tempo" (Jazzy Jeff)|